Should shoulder muscles be new to your workout regiment, you’ll discover that these muscles develop rather quickly compared to other areas of your body. But, don’t take that to mean shoulder exercises are easy, plenty of gym junkies dread shoulder day at the gym, as the workout can get quite intense…presuming you’re doing it properly. To ensure as much, we’ll take you through best shoulder workout for men.
Barbell Overhead Shoulder Press/Military Press
Set the bar up in a squat rack or cage, and grasp it just outside shoulder width. Take the bar off the rack and hold it at shoulder level with your forearms perpendicular to the floor. Squeeze the bar and brace your abs. Press the bar overhead, pushing your head forward and shrugging your traps as the bar passes your face.
Dumbbell Side Lateral Raise
Hold a dumbbell in each hand by your sides. Without shrugging, use your upper body to swing the weights up a few inches. Your arms and torso will form an upside down V shape. Think of it as a lateral raise with momentum but without full range of motion.
Attach a rope handle to the top pulley of a cable station. Grasp an end in each hand with palms facing each other. Step back to place tension on the cable. Pull the handles to your forehead so your palms face your ears and your upper back is fully contracted.
Seated Shoulder Dumbbell Press
A proper deltoid workout simply isn’t complete without the seated dumbbell shoulder press. In fact, some say these should workouts with dumbells are an entire deltoid regimen unto itself, targeting the anterior, lateral, and posterior deltoid muscles (with an emphasis on the middle delts). Meanwhile, lifting two separate dumbbells (as opposed to using a machine) prevents you from using one side of your body over the other, thereby retaining firmer balance and distribution. Naturally, a fair amount of coordination is required to pull this one off, especially when you increase the weights.
To perform a seated dumbbell shoulder press,
- Sit on a low-back bench and hold a dumbbell in each hand at shoulder level, palms facing forward.
- Keeping your head and spine perfectly straight, lift the dumbbells overhead toward one another, stopping just short of having them touch at the top.
- Hold the position for a few seconds and then carefully reverse course. Repeat.
You can use either a weight plate or barbell for this shoulder workout, which targets the anterior delts. No matter what you decide to use, prepare for a seriously intense time with one of the best shoulder workouts for mass. Don’t max out on the weight, as it will quickly turn healthy pain into unhealthy injury.
- Keep your hands at hip height as you hold the weight in front of you.
- Your feet should be even with your shoulders and your core should be tight.
- Next, retract your shoulder blades and keep your arms straight as you lift the weight to shoulder level.
- Breathe steadily and lower the weight carefully.
Reverse Pec Deck Fly
This shoulder exercise targets your posterior delts and requires a pec deck machine. It’s also the perfect chest, back and shoulder workout for building mass. To start;
- Face the machine, and position the seat so that the handles are at shoulder level on either side.
- Next, hold the handles with your palms facing inward.
- Tighten your torso and extend your arms out to the side, pushing through all the way.
- Responsibly return to the starting position.